Thursday, January 31, 2008

Teaching Woes

Either I feel Like I'm a pretty amazing teacher or I feel like I suck! And, usually, how I feel depends on my students.

For example, I teach two classes back to back with the same information. The first one starts at 8 a.m. and the second starts at 9:30 a.m.

Class #1 has 5 students and class #2 has nearly 20. Always, after class #1, I feel crappy because I have absolutely NO class participation! My students are duds! They just sit there, dazed and confused. I ask questions and I wait. This morning I waited for nearly 2 minutes before I gave the answer. Do you know how long 2 minutes of silence is? It's excruciatingly long! 1 minute is even long! 2 minutes of painful silence and noone said a thing. I take that back - I have one student who says idiotic things! - mainly related to MTV. He is obsessed with MTV! He knows everything and anything about music. (That's not necessarily a bad thing but I'd like some diversity in the answers I receive.) I feel like I'm stumbling around at the front trying to persuade my students to give feedback and I get nothing. The success of my lessons are entirely dependent upon student participation. Class #1 bombed.

Class #2. I LOVE this class! They are wonderful! They give feedback and it's good too. They are fun to talk to and they bring a source of energy to the class. I feel energized and pumped in this class like I'm really doing something worthwhile!

Anyway, I just think it's interesting how the same lesson plan can be taught to different groups of people. A really great lesson plan doesn't really mean it's going to be a really great lesson. There must be feedback and participation and an energy in the class; otherwise, you're really great lesson plan will stink! Student participation is key to a teacher's success!

4 comments:

Jason & Claire said...

I would give anything to see the look on your face when Your MTV student makes his comments. It is cool to picture you teaching a class. You rock.

Anonymous said...

I'm new here, what kind of class are we talking? High school, college or what. What subject is this? Just trying to get to know you better so I know what your talking about!

Amanda said...

When I taught in the past, I would always just say something like, "You know, I'm totally comfortable with silence" and then I'd stare at them. They'll get it eventually.

BallerinaBiker said...

what a good idea, Amanda! And, Tami, this is college writing @ SLCC!