Monday, June 23, 2008

The Truck

The story of the truck begins with Andrew. Last Christmas, he really, really, really wanted a truck. He told me 3 things he wanted and I can only remember 2 right now, a truck and a robot. For months, he talked about the truck he was getting.

Silly me, I didn't ask what kind of truck he wanted. To me, a truck is a truck! Well, I ended up getting him a Transformer truck and I thought it was pretty cool, but when Andrew woke up on Christmas morning, he threw himself on the floor and started crying, "Santa didn't bring me my truck!" My heart broke in half. I said, "Santa brought you a truck, look at Optimus Prime"! He was not convinced!

Then Ben said, I know what truck he wants. I then asked him why in the world he didn't tell me what kind of truck he wanted?! He wanted a "Power Wheels" truck just like daddy. Apparently he saw one on tv while watching wiht Ben, a miniature Ford truck.

Well, to smooth things over, we promised one for his birthday of which he did receive and of which he was completely elated to receive! He drives the thing like a madman! He puts the pedal to the metal and off he goes - he doesn't watch where he's going, he just drives. And, if we let him, he would drive down to Maverick! He is really entertaining to watch. He is good, mind you, but he is reckless!

The truck has been his baby for the last 2 months . . . until last week when his interest changed to his bike.

Here is Andrew riding his bike in our neighborhood park. (He still also likes to ride his truck but he's not as protective anymore).


Up until a week ago, Matthew has been content to just hop in the back and ride with Andrew. (I could only find a single seater Ford F150 truck even though I really wished it was a 2 seater.) Since Andrew's interest has moved on, Matthew has "taken over" the truck! He jumped in one day and he drove it like a pro! He needed no lessons. He is careful and responsible in it. He slows down to turn, operates the wheel like an expert! When he's stuck, he fiddles with the buttons until he's in reverse and he gets himself back on the right track. It is the funniest thing to watch because he's just so little! He is absolutely in LOVE with the truck and now calls it "his truck" or "my truck!" (Andrew is being a good sport and letting Matthew believe it's his even though we all know it's Andrew's! What a good big brother!)

Matthew driving the truck!






5 comments:

Trenda said...

He is so cute! I really need to get Cade some type of ride! We enjoyed having Elise over today. She and Preston entertained Cade for quite a while while I made Ambree's birthday cake!

CKB said...

Mathew is so awesome, he is all driving one handed. What a stud!

Jason & Claire said...

I can't believe he drives that well! He's so tiny. I would have thought he would be scared too. What a stud! And what a great big brother he has. Their mom must teach them how to share really well.

Nicole said...

That is the coolest ride those boys have!! How fun! I love that Andrew just bawled when Santa didn't get him what he wanted...something every parent just dreads hearing & witnessing.

Kari Dawn Edmunds said...

How cute!!! I love boys!