Thursday, June 5, 2008

Retirement

No, I'm not retiring, but I wish I were! My mom is retiring! She has worked 32 years for Clark County School District! That's a crazy long time! We went down for her party that the school put on. Good ol' Moapa Valley High School is still there! And proud as ever to be Home of the Pirates! To tell you the truth, I was a little nostalgic being there! Saw a few old teachers who are retiring too!

Two of the best teachers I had are retiring and I'm not sure how MVHS is going to get on without them -- Joyce Olson, Math, and Rita Brinker, Science. They were "real" teachers! There were 7 total who are retiring.

I did take some pics but it will take months before I get them posted because I forgot my digital camera so I had to buy a disposable one. And I'm so slow when it comes to getting those developed!

While we were down home visiting, we helped my mom with her new townhome in St George. Ben built her some shelves and hammer drilled her tile in the courtyard that we want removed so we can resurface to the painted concrete look. And, I helped her paint! It was so much fun!

Ben took the kids swimming to the pool in her community and Matthew almost drowned! Thankfully, he held on for dear life to the noodle as he drifted into the deep end! And, thanks to Elise, for being so persistant with dad while he was on the phone with me. "Dad, Dad, Dad, help Matthew!" The incident was just a tiny scare as nothing really serious happened! Matthew lived to tell about it and he loves to tell! "I fawed in da water . . . yeah!"

We also went and toured the Lost City Museum in my hometown. It was pretty cool, but quite frankly, it was too hot to really enjoy the place. We were going to go to Valley of Fire and hike around but decided against it because of the heat. So, instead, we drove to Mesquite to watch a movie, Ironman. It was pretty cool.

It's always good to see my family! So, the trip was great!

6 comments:

Jena said...

Sounds like a lot of fun, except for the "almost drowning" part.

I bet it was great to see teachers that made an impact in your life, I had a few growing up, and it would be nice to see them again and say thank you.

Ironman was a surprisingly sweet movie!

Welcome back!

Jena

Nicole said...

Sounds like fun, what a great place. I am glad Matthew was OK, that is such a fear and worry! Glad you are home, wish the warm weather would have followed you.

Jason & Claire said...

I'm glad you had such a nice trip. Holly told me she saw you and Elise is beautiful. I can't believe your mom is retiring. I think she will love St. George. That is exciting.

Connie said...

Wow. MVHS won't be the same, huh? Glad you had a good time and that everyone is okay!

Camie said...

Hey Court-
So, how old are you feeling? Because finding out that teachers I know are now retiring makes me feel a little on the ancient side. You're right MVHS won't be quite the same. But it's never been the same since we graduated! Thanks for your support in our desire to adopt. It's been a long road, but we're hoping it will brighten up soon.(By the way, I love the new backdrop for your blog.)

Kari Dawn Edmunds said...

that is so great for your mom! she is going to love it and so fun to visit her there!