Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Tragedy of the Teacup and Saucer

As you all know, we are having a tea party today for Elise's birthday. I went downstairs to my storage room to find the box with my stored teacups. These are just a few of what I found when I opened the box.









As I opened each new wrapping and found another broken teacup or saucer, a pain sliced through my heart. So many beautiful memories have been made with these very teacups. I will never forget the Christmas Tea's with my childhood and teen girlfriends. So much love and good conversation was shared over a good cup of herbal tea with these very teacups.

And the time I was in college and said to all of my new roomies who I had never met, "Let's have a tea party!" We stayed up all night sipping herbal tea and playing Hearts. Those were some good times.

Don't fret, my dear friends, not all were lost. At least 4 teacups (2 of my very favorite) were broken and at least 6 saucers (even worse! some of my fav cups now don't have a matching saucer. boo hoo.) And, I lost a lovely fine bone china tea platter. I still have enough to have a party with though. So, girls, let's start planning a tea party reunion!

Rest in peace, my beloved teacups and saucers.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I LOVE that you love tea parties. I have wuite the collection too (though I am nervouse to open that box now), if you need some more please feel free to call me. We should have a Tea Party, I grew up having them for everything, we still do at least 2 times a year. We always had a tradition Bridal Tea with my Grandma (who started the whole thing), moms, sisters, and bridesmaids...fun fun!!

TheoMama said...

I'll feel really silly if I say this and I wasn't the roommate you did this with but I think I remember that! I do remember playing hearts and I know I remember that you love the tea parties. You were such a fun roommate; my favorite memory is of your cheerleading jump that led to the downstairs ceiling light to break. That was awesome!