Thursday, January 22, 2009

Roll Recipe in Exchange for . . .

I need a really yummy, easy sugar cookie recipe. I have a couple but I just don't like my recipes very well. My favorite are the ones that are kinda buttery and flaky, like a pink Grandma cookie . . .

In exchange for a fabulous sugar cookie recipe, I'm posting my roll recipe that I posted pictures of back in December. A few of you asked me for the recipe, so here goes!



CRESCENT ROLLS (This is my sister, Kim's, recipe, really)

3 cups sour milk (add 3 big lids of vinegar to milk and I microwave the milk for
about 3 minutes or so to get it to a boil)
6 T. Butter
3/8 t. soda
3 beaten eggs
9 T. sugar
3 t. salt
9 c. flour
3 pkg yeast (3 T.)

Boil milk, pour into mixing bowl (I use my kitchenaid). Add cold butter, sugar. Mix. (Once the milk has cooled a little so it's warm not hot, I add the yeast with 1 cup flour). Mix together. Let sit a couple minutes to make sure the yeast activates. Add soda, salt. Mix. Add pre-beaten eggs. Mix. Add rest of flour. Mix. Let dough stand 5 minutes. Grease pans with butter. Roll out, spread with butter, cut into triangles, roll up. Raise 2 hours. Cook @ 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes until light brown.

I usually pour a little olive oil on my counter and on my roller to roll the dough out instead of using flour. If you feel the dough needs more flour, then add more or roll out in flour instead of oil. I roll my dough out in a long rectangle about 2 hand lengths tall and 4-5 handlengths wide. Spread butter over the dough, then cut. I cut the rectangle in half lengthwise, then I use my hand as a guide to cut the other direction into small rectangles, about 4-5 cuts (equalling about 8-10 little rectangles). Then I cut each rectangle diagonally and roll each little triangle starting with the fat side, ending with the point (rolling the butter inside). My sister-in-law gave me a tip for rolling the triangles into the crescents. She picks up the dough and holds the 2 ends of the base of the triangle and she flips the dough until it's rolled up. They roll really nice and tight that way.

Anyway, happy baking!

11 comments:

Camie said...

OH, thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been dying to have this recipe! They look so yummy and tasty.

Sadly, I too have been looking for a good sugar cookie recipe. Mine are awful! My cookies awlays end up being rock hard. Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful in that department.

BallerinaBiker said...

Mine too! I think I'm just a bad cookie maker!

Ratliffs said...

Hi! This is Stacey's SIL...I've got a pretty good sugar cookie recipe (atleast, we think so! :) ) If you're interested in having it, do you want me to post it here, or send it to you in an email? Thanks! And your rolls look FAB!

Connie said...

Don't ask me for any cookie recipes. I am a horrible cookie and pancake maker. Ask anyone who knows me. So, sorry! But I'll gladly swipe that rolls recipe from you! I am drooling looking at the picture!

Melanie said...

check out my mom-in-law's blog myhappinessishomemade.blogspot.com she has her sugar cookie recipe posted and it is THE VERY BEST IN THE WORLD!

Michele and Todd said...

Hi Courtney, remember me. It is Josh's mom Michele. This roll recipe one I will definately try out, that is after my diet is over with. (Ha Ha) Those rolls look absolutely perfect. It is good to see your beautiful little family.

Brynnly and Alan said...

Those rolls look amazing! I have a great sugar cookie recipe for you. I don't have it off hand but will be happy to email it to you if you'd like. Let me know! They are really rich and delicious!

Adam and Rachel said...

These rolls look delicious! I will have to try it! I found a recipe that people swear tastes just like Granny B's. I haven't tried it yet, but here it is:


1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup sour cream


Cream Butter and sugar together, then slowly add eggs, and Vanilla. Sift dry ingredients together, then add dry mixture to the wet mixture along with the sour cream, mix until smooth.

Chill: 2 to 3 hours

roll out to 1/4 - 1/3 " thick depending on your preference and cut into shapes
bake at 375 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown on bottom and let cool.



Butter Frosting

4 Tablespoons butter
2 1/3 cup powdered sugar
milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
for chocolate frosting add 3 Tablespoons cocoa

Put butter in bowl and beat with electric mixer until fluffy. Then add about half the powdered sugar. Then beat in 1 Tablespoon milk and the vanilla. Slowly add in the rest of the powdered sugar. Add more milk if needed. Add food coloring if desired. The makes enough frosting to ice half of a cake mix, so I usually double the recipe.

Kari Dawn Edmunds said...

I have heard that sour cream in the sugar cookies is the key. Good luck and thanks for sharing your roll recipe!

Anonymous said...

HI Courtney, your rolls look amazing. I'm going to have to try them sometime. Your'e family is adorable as well, thanks for saying "hi".

Super Mom said...

I can't believe you gave away the family recipe. Now every one will have perfect rolls and not just us! Okay, okay . . . the best sugar cookie that I constantly get oohs and aahs over is Rebekah's which is Lena's "Sure thing sugar cookies". I also have mom's sour cream cookie recipe which is a goodie, but the fav with all me friends is Reb's. Don't you have that one? You have to be very special to have it as it is a secret one as well!!!!!!LOL, LOL!