Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Great Debate

Treadmill? Or Nature?

I personally like to run on a treadmill better because I can control my pace and I am able to concentrate on my breathing; however, since the Hobble Creek 1/2 Marathon is outside, I better learn to like running outside!

For some reason, mentally, it's just easier for me to run on the treadmill. I gotta get over this!

So, I need some pointers on setting a good pace and on breathing techniques.

7 comments:

Humanist mom said...

In through the nose, out through the mouth.

Stacey said...

Elliptical!

But if you're running I say both. It depends on the weather, and it also depends on the surface. Grass and aslphalt are softer than concrete!

Camie said...

Ditto! I have a mental block when it comes to doing distance outside!

Mubeen said...

I'm so proud of you! So awesome!!!

T Rex Mom said...

Good to mix it up - too much running on hard surfaces can be hard on the joints. Thus, the treadmill can offer a bit of a break for the joints. I am so impressed. I have never been able to get motivated to doing any amount of running - I use the elliptical to stay in shape. Good luck!

The Noble Steeds said...

You're awesome. You make me want to go running!

Kari Dawn Edmunds said...

Hmm... no tips for you about running outside because I too love the treadmill. I love that I have a fan blowing in my face and a tv to keep me distracted. Actually, I do have a tip- I was told to always run with the treadmill at least an incline of a 2 to simulate running outside. So that's one way to get ready to run outside.