Also not Pioneer Day happenings . . . but here's a couple pics of my recent paint projects. I bought a dresser, desk and nightstand at a garage sale. They were hideous, so I painted them white and used a green glaze to antique them. This is the nightstand. At first I wasn't sure if I liked it, but I really do think I do!
Pioneer Day in Utah is a State holiday. It marks the day when Brigham Young said, "This is the Right Place" on July 24, 1847. He then directed the mormons to settle here in this dry desert climate! We talked yesterday at our family bbq how hot and dry it was and how awful it must've been to arrive in the middle of the summer here, but Brigham Young was inspired. He saw this place developed and fleurishing. And, it is today. The Salt Lake Valley really is a beautiful place. From what I understand, the first members of the mormon party arrived on the 22nd of July, but we celebrate the day Brigham Young arrived which is the 24th. There are many celebrations going on around the valley . . . Days of 47 Parade and Rodeo, Firework displays, etc.
Our friends invited us down to their aunt's community pool and it was awesome! We loved it! And the kids loved it! We BBQ'd and chilled around the pool in these cool Cabanas. Here is Ben . . . .
Matthew at the Kiddie pool
Andrew in the Kiddie pool
Elise in the Big people pool
Me/Andrew in the jacuzzi
Later that afternoon, we went to Ben's parents house again. He invited us over to pick raspberries from his abundant raspberry patch. We also had another BBQ! : )
Moi . . . in the patch
Elise
Andrew
Elise
Later that evening, on our way home, we drove through Daybreak to see the temple.
Driving past the new South Jordan temple being built:
Andrew: Wook, there's the temple!"
Me: Yep! Isn't it pretty?!
Andrew: We've been there afore, huh?
Me: Yep!
Ben: Look at the top, do you see the big golden statue?
Andrew: Yes.
Ben: What is it?
Andrew: A fairy!
After all this, we ended our day with a few fireworks. The kids lit off sparklers and pops and other kid friendly fireworks. They loved it!
Man, it was one LONG day! We were all wiped out!
2 comments:
Fun Pioneer Day! The desk looks great, you are a handy lady!
Looks like you had lots of fun! You look so adorable in the rasberry patch, and I'd have to say that you havn't changed a bit.
Post a Comment