Yesterday we woke up to snow! This is really the first snow storm that we've been home for. The kids were all excited to see the big white flakes falling. My mom and MaKenna came up to visit on Friday and they were in awe! I have to say that snow when it has first fallen is breathtaking. All the the trees were so beautiful. The limbs drooped with snow. About 5 or 6 inches fell just at our house!!! We have heaps of snow and probably should've built a snowman, but I'm too lame! I don't want to freeze!
MaKenna and Elise were more than anxious to go outside and play in the snow. We bundled them up and out they went. After 5 minutes, they came in complaining that it was too cold! That's about how long I can stand to be out in it too!
Around 2 p.m., the snow began to taper off so we all decided to drive downtown to see the temple square lights.
Going to see the lights always seems funner than it actually is. We tend to build up anticipation of going and enjoying the scenery. Yesterday we decided to go early so we could miss the crowds and freezing cold. We got there about 5 only to find out that the lights don't all come on till 6! So, we went to eat first at the Olive Garden. Instead of moving our car from the Olive Garden parking garage, we decided to walk.
First off, don't ever forget a stroller when going to Temple Square. It doesn't matter how old your kids are, you desperately need one. We forgot ours. The kids were bundled up in their snow bibs and ski coats and decked with beenies, gloves and snow boots. So, being warm wasn't the issue. The issue was that Andrew wanted to stop and play in the snow on our way to and on our way back from the lights. And, Matthew only wanted to be held and guess who held him for most of the walk??? Moi! Yep, that's right! And today I'm paying for it! My arms ache!
Elise complained the entire time by saying, "I hate temple square. . . . why do we have to come to see the lights . . . . this is stupid!" I'll admit, at times I thought she was right! It's freezing cold outside and really miserable walking, but in the end it is lovely to see the different array of colors on display. There were pink lights and purple and red and orange and green and white. It's breathtaking. And, as always, the nativity scene is beautiful.
But, really, it isn't all that fun getting out of the car and walking around. So, here's my next piece of advice. The best time we ever had going to temple square was when we stayed in our car and drove around the square oohing and ahhing over the lights. We were warm and cozy. You may not get to see ALL the lights on the inside, but its much more enjoyable.
The best light festivals are the ones that you get to stay in your car for - like the Thanksgiving Point Light display. We're going next weekend so I'll let you know how it goes - if it's really what it's cracked up to be.
3 comments:
Your temple square experience made me laugh!! I will have to remember all your tips when taking our kids at some point this month!
I don't know why you feel like you need to go see the lights at Temple square when the lights on my house are just as good! I agree though, every year we think "lets go see the lights!" And it is always so lame. Super crowded, freezing cold, and you just want to go home the entire time! Cory and I once decided we would make the lights at temple square a tradition every year, but this year we decided that we are going to make a tradition not to go see the lights.
I missed seeing the lights at Temple Square the year we were down for Thanksgiving! I also miss the snow!!!!!!
Post a Comment