Thursday, February 12, 2009

Draper, Utah LDS Temple Open House & Sugar Cookie Results


Taken from lds.org.

The general public is invited to tour the new Draper Utah Temple during the open house, which is being held Mondays through Saturdays from January 15 to March 14. Reservations are required and are available free of charge.

We went on Monday and it was so fun! The temple is really, really beautiful! It seemed a little smaller inside than other temples in the valley. I really liked the color scheme throughout. It was sort of a pale silvery green color, browns and golds. Loved it!

It was a nice snowy day! Doesn't this look fun?! : )



Me & Matthew


Grams & Elise


Ben & Andrew



My favorite part: The color scheme and just being there with my family, seeing my children learn about the beauty of the temple . . . inside.

Ben's favorite part: Checking out the construction of the building - oohing and awing over the finish carpentry that we think they said came from South Africa or something. And, also admiring the stone work/tile which we think they said came from France.

Elise's favorite part: Using her Draper Temple Open House pamphlet as her tour guide. She referred to it constantly and was ecstatic when she found herself in the same room as the picture showed! She really liked the baptismal font (which was very cool, by the way). And, probably her favorite was the dessert afterwards. Later I found out she snuck 3 cookies!

Andrew's favorite part: He really liked the crystal chandelier in the celestial room. He said, "Look, Mom, diamonds!" (It was really beautiful as well - HUGE! I think the ceilings went up at least 30 feet in the Celestial Room which was very cool as well)

Matthew's favorite part: The bus rides to and from the temple. (We had to park our cars at a church and they shuttled us to the temple). He pointed out that we were not on the same bus going back to our car as we rode on the way to the temple! And, then he said, "we ride two buses!" Very smart kid! : ) He also liked the diamond chandeliers and said they "shparkle!"

We got to look into the mirrors and see eternity in the Ceiling Room. And, they said the ceiling room we were in was the largest in Utah! And, after the carpet was installed in the ceiling room, they hired an artist to cut a unique design in the carpet that was very neat.

We had a great time! And, we can't wait to see the Oquirrh Mountain Temple in South Jordan, Utah when it opens to the public! Hopefully, my kids will remember the experiences and the feelings inside the temple with a back-to-back double exposure!

***************************************

Sugar Cookie Results


Out of two recipes I tried, here are the results:

#1: I liked the texture but I didn't really like the taste as much as cookie #2. My friend said they taste like Grandma B's cookies. Well, the texture of this cookie recipe was very, very close. And, I like that a lot about this cookie. The recipe for this one is found HERE!

#2: Pictured ABOVE definitely one for taste! Mmmmm....YUM! The texture of these, at least how I made them, were more cake-y, which is fine. I'll definitely be making these again! Click HERE for this recipe!

I have another friend who is supposed to email me her recipe! Jacki said that her mom who is a fabulous and award winning baker, cake decorator, cook started using Jacki's recipe instead of her own. That really says something! I can't wait to try it!

4 comments:

Stacey said...

So fun! We need to hunker down and pick a day to go and get tickets!

Yum! I love sugar cookies, but I'm addicted to my mom's recipe. It's easy, fluffy but full of flavor. Oh so good! ;) I have had lots of good recipes from other people in my day.

Jason & Claire said...

Okay, you made me want to take my kids to an openhouse so much! I can't believe I've never thought of that! I guess we don't open many temples around here. What a great experience. How neat that your mom was there too!

Ratliffs said...

Hello! I'm so sorry for not getting back to you sooner! (Stacey's SIL here..) So our recipe ended up being very similar to Melanie's (who commented on that blog post). I'll have to try some of the other ones you posted...they sound yummy! (If you still want me to email the recipe to you, I could, I just figured it was close to that other one, that I wouldn't bother. :) )

I have to say that I'm so jealous of your Temple experience. :( If only another one could be built in So. California... :)

Camie said...

I've been dying to go to the open house. I'm glad you had such a great time!