All those who cooked strongly believe that Thanksgiving dinner is not all that it's cracked up to be. We wake up at the crack of dawn to mix the stuffing, stuff the turkey, shove the turkey in the oven, prepare the mashed potatoes, salads, appetizer platters, green beans, sweet potatoes and all other delictable sides and dishes that we think we have to have at this particular dinner. Then we mix the drinks and hope and pray that our pies that we made the day before taste good.
We clean the house from top to bottom because we can't have our family see how we really live. We clean and polish the dishes and silver and decorate our tables with harvest decor.
Then, by 2 p.m., right on schedule, with anticipation, we all sit down to eat. We shovel in for at least 15 minutes until we can't stuff ourselves anymore.
Then we look at the table and see a mess, we get up and wash the dishes. While scrubbing away, we ask ourselves why we do this?
We spend the whole day cooking for what? Tell me, I'd like to know?
I probably gained 5 pounds 'cause Matt Lauer informed me the day before Thanksgiving on the Today show that average Americans consume at least 5000 calories on this very special day! I hope, in this case, I was below average and consumed less than 5000 calories. I wonder what above average is?
In 15 minutes, the house turned from pristine to a holy helly bloody mess! And guess who gets to clean it up? The poor host!
Admittedly and thankfully, I did not host Thanksgiving this year; however, I don't know how my sister could've done it all by herself. I arrived shortly after 8 a.m. and was put to work till we sat down to eat. We both swore we'd never host again!
2 comments:
I was not as fortunate as you. I did host dinner this year. You could not have described it any better. I heard the 5,000 calorie thing too- can you believe that?
Buying it premade solves two problems. 1. You can do something besides cook for the day. 2. You don't eat 5000 calories because it doesn't taste that good!
Post a Comment