Thursday, September 3, 2009

Bag Lady

Yesterday, after haircuts at Cookie Cutters, I decided to run down to BYU with the kids to surprise Ben with a new shirt for his trip to Dallas to see BYU play Oklahoma. After much deliberation, we picked a nice polo for dad and then picked shirts for us too (you didn't think we'd walk away empty-handed ourselves, did you?!). Then, I suggested we eat in the WILK and let the kids pick which food they wanted. Elise chose Taco Bell and the boys and I chose hamburgers.

While sitting at our table eating, an old women, probably homeless, rolled by our table in her wheelchair decorated with garbage bags, trying to navigate her way through the messy seating area, muttering to herself, "that is not very nice of them. Just plain rude." Not really sure who she was talking about, the kids and I stared until Elise thoughtfully suggested, "Mom, should we help her?" So, I told her to go push in all the chairs that weren't properly placed under the table. She did so.

Several minutes passed. The woman ate her meal and I sat eating and occasionally glancing at the woman, thinking to myself, "How nice of BYU to feed her dinner. I wonder how often she comes . . . every night? a couple times a week?"

Then, Matthew stood up on his chair and shook his bum to the beat in the background, turned to the woman, pointed and shouted, "Mom, She's a WITCH!"

6 comments:

Craig said...

Oh nooo! Gotta love kids! :) So cute of Elise to want to help her.

Trenda said...

That above comment was me. If it was Craig he would have said, "I am so jealous of Ben . . . I want to go to the BYU game in Dallas too!" :)

Emily Leininger said...

We're going to that game. Wish you were coming down!

Connie said...

I would have been mortified! Why do kids do these things to us?

The Noble Steeds said...

Ha! Oh my goodness. Kids are awesome.

Stacey said...

The difference between boys and girls! Ellise wanted to help and Matthew let his opinions very vocal. Ha ha. Love it!